A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree is a popular undergraduate programme that can lead to many professional opportunities. It is a three-year degree course focusing on the liberal arts, humanities, and social sciences. In this article, we will discuss the top career opportunities after getting a BA degree. The article will also walk you through everything you need to pursue the BA course in India, including the eligibility criteria, syllabus, and programme cost.
Top career options after BA
The following are the top career options that you may be interested in after earning a BA degree:
- Civil Services: A BA degree is considered an excellent foundation for students seeking a career in civil services. They can appear for various competitive exams conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and state public service commissions.
- Journalism and Mass Communication: A BA degree in journalism and mass communication can lead to a career in media and communication. Graduates can work as reporters, editors, content writers, or public relations specialists.
- Education: BA graduates can also opt for a career in teaching. They can pursue a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree to become a teacher in schools or opt for a career in higher education by pursuing a Master’s degree or a Ph.D.
- Social Work: BA graduates can also work in the social sector by pursuing a career in social work. They can work with non-governmental organisations (NGOs) or government agencies to address social issues.
- Business and Management: A BA degree can also lead to a career in business and management. Graduates can work in marketing, human resources, or customer service in various industries.
Eligibility criteria for a BA course
To be eligible for a BA course in India, candidates should have completed their 10+2 or equivalent education from a recognised board. They should have scored at least 50% marks in their qualifying exam. There are no specific subject requirements for a BA course, and candidates from any stream can apply for it.
BA course syllabus
The BA course syllabus in India is designed to provide students with a broad understanding of the liberal arts, humanities, and social sciences. The programme usually comprises six semesters, and students can choose from a wide range of elective courses. Some of the common subjects that are covered in a BA course include:
- Political Science
- English Literature
- Hindi Literature
Students must also take additional courses in communication, computer applications, and foreign languages besides these core subjects. The syllabus is designed to give students a comprehensive understanding of the subjects and enable them to develop critical thinking, communication, and analytical skills.
The cost of a BA course in India varies depending on the college or university the student chooses. The average fee for a BA course ranges between INR 10,000 to INR INR 1,50,000 per year. Interested students can consider universities in Dehradun to pursue a BA course in India.