Accessing your Android phone’s data might not be a difficult task. Especially if you compare it with Apple’s iPhones. For iPhones, you need iTunes software on your laptop. Even then, you can’t access your files without an Apple ID. Most of the time, the backups for iOS devices are encrypted with a password as well. Androids, on the other hand, can make things easier for you.
There can be multiple ways to access your Android phone’s data. The first and most common is through a USB cable. So, it can work whether you want to access an SD card or internal storage. But what can you do if you don’t have a USB cable? Droid Over Wifi is an Android app that can help. All you need is a reliable internet connection with a Wif router. If you already have a Charter internet plan, you can get a bundle deal that has internet plans as well. Then, you can access your phone’s files over the internet without involving any cables.
What Is Droid Over Wifi?
Droid Over Wifi is an Android application that you can download from the PlayStore. All you need is a Google account to access the app. It can make accessing your data easy from any external device such as your laptop. When you download the app on your phone, you will need to sign up for an account. Then, make sure that your phone and laptop are on the same Wifi network.
With Droid Over Wifi, you don’t need Bluetooth compatibility or a USB cable. You can access all your phone’s data over wifi – as the name suggests. Moreover, it can work for internal and external storage. So, you can access data on your phone’s external SD card as well. It might be one of the most convenient apps that make things easy for the user. You don’t have to keep extra cables just to access the data as the app can do it for you.
How Does It Work?
The first thing you need to do is download the app on your phone. Once you have it on your device you will need to log in with your email or other credentials. Then you can follow the following steps to access your files:
- Connect your phone and laptop with the same Wifi network.
- Switch on the Remote Connection.
- Note down the IP address from the URL that the app will generate.
- Open any browser on your computer.
- Browse through the webpage to access all the files on your phone.
On the left of the page, you can see the Home page or Menu options from your phone. You can even access the Downloads, images, and videos from your Gallery, Music, and Podcasts. The app also allows you to transfer files from the computer to your phone and vice versa. It also allows full control to edit, move and rename all your files. The user interface is fairly simple as everything is right in front of you. You don’t have to look through a bunch of folders to get to your desired one.
The app can make it look so easy to access your phone’s files. Once you have this app, you probably won’t go back to the old-school method of connecting via USB cable. It can be a lot less hassle and you don’t need any additional equipment. The app works by creating a gateway through the IP it generates. So, it will only work if both the devices are on the same Wifi network. Otherwise, the default gateway will be broken and you won’t be able to get to your files.
What Are the Features of Droid Over WiFi?
The app can make transferring and accessing your files simper through the above-mentioned method. However, that is not all that it can do for you. Here are some of the other features:
- You can view media files like pictures and videos within the browser you are in.
- There is a full-screen streaming mode for mp3, Ogg, and WebM video files.
- The app does not restrict uploads and downloads based on file size. So, you can transfer multiple files at the same time as well.
- You can edit, delete and rename any file that you want.
- The smart auto-complete feature allows you to move files and folders with ease.
- It is a background app so you can access other files and apps on your phone as you transfer your data.
- The app doesn’t use a lot of RAM or other resources from your phone as it is lightweight and not demanding.